Koondalaa Wala Dost (Curly Haired Friend)

Posted on behalf of Vic Singh

Many people remember Gilly from appearance through his, what I used to call lovingly, Sigourney Weaver look, but to my family he will always be known as “Vic’s Koondalaa Walaa Dost” (meaning in Punjabi Curly haired friend).

Punjabi people have a great knack for giving nicknames to people, and as I have been informing family members of Gilly’s untimely demise, they have all been saying “Koondalaa Walaa?”. I have heard over the last few days many comments from Gilly’s relatives too about his beautiful hair, and I thought I’d share some pictures of how I remember him.

Pictured above me left, Gilly centre, and Gurminder right. There is obviously some kind of joke going on in this picture but for the life me I cannot remember. I think this picture was taken around 1994 in Preston. Also featured is Gilly’s famous red silk pyjama, which I understand Gilly’s brother’s posses too.

Yesterday when talking to Gilly’s brothers and his closest friends from Leamington, there was some mixed emotions as to how we deal with this dear friend’s loss. For me I will think of Gilly as a man who always fought for the underdog; a rebel; a freedom fighter (as described by Benjamin Zephaniah); A Guerrilla Fighter (as described and named by Gilly ‘s father)

In Sikh (Punjabi tradition), when such people who fight for other’s right’s pass away they are immortalised as Shaheeds. Their memory lives on eternal in the hearts of those they have helped or known. This is the way I choose to remember him.

Gilly’s famous meeting wilh Gill (pictured right) from Leeds, after my registry wedding. Gilly famously described him (Gill), as looking a bit “unstable”. Gilly’s one liners were legendary.

Finally I would like to say, this is a very tough time for all concerned, so please try and support each other and try and focus on the positive memories of Gilly. The news that his organ donation had helped more than 5 people, just summed up for me what he was about. Helping people even after his passing.

My Koondalaa Walaa friend may have left us physically, but his legacy and his spirit live on through each and every one of us.

Bradford Jazz (pictured right), Gilly (centre), and Bobby Bacardi (right), at my wedding. I joked with Gilly that this was the only time throughout my wedding they looked remotely civilised.

Vic Singh

These pictures are also available as a web album

No comments: